Since 30 June 2020, it is possible to come across the new QR-bills instead of the usual payment slips. All invoice recipients in Switzerland have adjusted their software and hardware in a timely manner to prepare themselves for processing and paying QR-bills.
The QR-bill will modernize Swiss payment transactions. On 30 June 2020, invoice recipients have received their first QR-bills instead of the traditional payment slips. You can recognize the QR-bill by the Swiss QR Code, which contains all the information needed for easy, automatic and efficient payment.
- Invoicing in CHF and EUR
- One QR code for all types of payment and reference
- Data digitized for more efficient processing and monitoring of payments
- Better data quality thanks to a greater amount of more precise information in standardized form
- Payment references automated end to end, from initiating party to recipient
FOR INVOICE RECIPIENTS
- More straightforward invoice processing
- All payment information built into QR code in digital form
- Fewer reading errors
- Less manual work, saving time and money
- Supports digital payments and payments by mail or at the post office
FOR INVOICE ISSUERS
- Simplified payment reconciliation, less manual work
- All payment information transferred electronically
- Printed on white paper
Invoice recipients have a range of options when it comes to paying a QR-bill:
- Via e-banking:
Open your e-banking application, scan the Swiss QR Code with the QR reader or integrated camera and click to trigger payment. When paying with the QR-bill, you still have the option of typing in the payment information.
- Via mobile banking:
Open the mobile banking app on your smartphone, scan the Swiss QR Code with the QR reader function and tap the screen to trigger payment.
- By mail:
The QR-bill also functions as a payment slip (payment section and receipt) and can be paid at, for example, the post office counter or cash deposit machine or sent to the bank as a payment order in an envelope.
- Alternatively, as a company using business software.
Another step into the digital future
Harmonization of payments constitutes the foundation laid by the Swiss financial center, supported by the Swiss economy and society, for seamlessly digital financial processes. At the same time, the QR-bill bridges the digital and paper-based world. eBill goes one step further. The new infrastructure for electronic invoices will ensure a seamlessly digital payment experience. By the end of the year, it will have been supported by all banks and consistently developed to remain on the cutting edge of technology. The QR-bill and eBill are Swiss innovations and will provide local participants with a single platform for developing and launching own innovative services.
Author: SIX Interbank Clearing (June 2020)