A certain number of steps are involved for starting a sole proprietorship. They are listed below.
- Budget for start-up costs
- Get tax advice and calculate taxes for establishing your company
- Decide the company name (check with the cantonal trade register if registration is mandatory or voluntary)
- Register with the trade register (if mandatory or voluntary)
- Register with the Old-Age and Survivors' Insurance (OASI) cantonal compensation fund
- If you have employees, register with the Old-Age and Survivors' Insurance (OASI) compensation fund and take out mandatory Occupational Pension insurance (OP) and Accident Insurance (UV) policies
- Register with the Swiss Federal Tax Administration (FTA) if you are required to pay VAT.